Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)
(Disclaimer: To access your Fiscal Agent’s EVV information, please select your Fiscal Agent from the menu on the right-hand side of the page.)
Electronic Visit Verification systems are technology-based systems that electronically record when attendants begin and end providing waiver services to people who have one of Virginia’s Medicaid waivers. These systems require a smart phone, landline, tablet, or other cellular device to track an attendant’s start and end times. EVV is required for Personal Care, CompanionA waiver-paid service focused on presence of a caregiver for safety, but less on hands on caregiving. More, and RespiteShort-term care for a child or adult that allows the primary caregiver relief. More services.
EVV systems in Virginia report six data elements:
- Type of service(s) performed
- Person receiving the service(s)
- Date of the service
- Location of the service delivery (can either be in a person’s home or community setting)
- Person providing the service
- Time the service begins and ends
There are several benefits to adopting an EVV system:
- Promote quality outcomes for people (Quality of Care)
- Greater opportunity for enhanced care coordination and data sharing.
- Reduce billing errors and improve payment accuracy (Program Integrity)
- Electronically verifies that a caregiver is physically present for a visit.
- Promote oversight of the services provided
- Comply with federal and state requirements.