6 Tips to Know If College Bound

Perhaps you are seeking guidance with paperwork or locating resources. Moms In Motion/At Home Your Way can help!

As a parent, if your child has had a 504 Plan or IEP in school, you have undoubtedly been able to play a role in that process. You most likely had some level of access to the people in the school and/or school partners who are providing the much needed supports and services. You have likely been able to monitor how well those supports are being implemented.

You may be wondering what that will look like for higher education. This is a valid concern, particularly because college is a different story. First and foremost, there are no IEPs or special education in college. That can feel a little disconcerting for us parents at first.  Rest assured, almost all colleges will have some support for your student in the disability services office. This office serves students with learning and neurological differences. Here’s what you should know!

6 Things To Know If You’re Going to College and Receive Services

  • Colleges provide accommodations under civil rights laws.
  • Your college will coordinate supports through a disability services office.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to register with the disability services office to secure accommodations.
  • A contact person at the disability services office will work with the student for as long as they’re seeking accommodations.
  • This contact person will draft a letter explaining the student’s accommodations to professors.
  • Please note, different schools may have varying documentation policies. It is a good idea to ask the disability services office what is specifically required for your specific school.

We hope this information has been helpful. Please feel free to check out this post about getting support and services if you have not already.

Translate »
Scroll to Top